Monday, July 9, 2012

patchwork experiences

There seem to be a few overarching themes of conversations that I do not think I have disclosed on this blog so far. I just have remembered some random little things that have happened that I have not really blogged about yet. So here it goes . . . a patchwork quilt of the pieces not yet shared.

First and foremost, I must introduce how I felt at the lab my first week or so. I basically met Kristin and then I have been following her around everywhere. She lets my use an extra lab coat that she has with her name on it and some goggles (or else I would be wearing the ridiculous 70s glasses). I felt like a "Kristin clone," only I look nothing like her, and I am at least half a foot taller. 

Also, very importantly, I discovered what an "E-gel" was a few weeks ago. Fantastic! I have done several electrophoresis gels, but this was different for two reasons: the gel was pre-made and we did NOT submerge it in solution. Oh, and a third reason: it was not an ethidium bromide gel either. It also ran REALLY fast! I opened the gel out of a package, loaded the samples (I did not use loading dye), and pressed "Go" and it ran for 12 minutes. I think that we by far the fastest gel I have ever ran! As a bonus, it was pretty much adorable since it was a fourth of the size (or less) of the usual gels that I would run at Utah State. (Smaller things are always cuter, right?) I don't think most of you would really care, but I thought it was wonderful (in case you couldn't tell so far). 

Kristin introduced me to penguin watching. (See link if interested.) I guess they used to have cameras that showed penguins live, but now it is recorded footage.


I am reading a schizophrenia book (I think I've mentioned it before) right now and I find myself over analyzing the traits of the disease. I almost feel as though I am ready to diagnose myself with a case of schizophrenia from some of the small symptoms. Some of these include, "poorer coordination," "changes in sleep or eating patterns" (what college student doesn't eat or sleep enough?), and I quote the book, "it is hardly surprising to find excessive religious preoccupation listed in the early stages of schizophrenia." I had to laugh at myself for developing a mild case of hypochondriasis, as I learned in anatomy last summer. Hypochondriasis is basically what doctors diagnose someone with that believes they have a serious illness based on few to none symptoms. I don't think I need to be worried at this point --- no auditory hallucinations, I think I'm good. 


I have a Rita's gelati (Italian ice and frozen custard) in my freezer. I have been eating off it for a week, but it is so sweet that I can not down it in one sitting. Maybe I will finish it today. We'll see about that. 

I have been noticing accents since I have been here. I walked into the conference room at the lab on overheard a conversation with someone saying "toe-mate-ah." Let's just say that I was thoroughly amused. At the bus stop one day, I heard a girl telling her little brother to "count frum one to tea-en." I love listening to people. I asked Natalie if I had a noticeable accent. She pointed out that I say "fillings" instead of "feelings," I had never thought about that before; I guess that's the point of an accent. 

I have my own small box in the freezer of the lab. I put my cute little (again, small things are adorable) samples of extracted protein from milk in this box. Kristin told me to label it however I desired: I call it the "smile box." It is written on yellow tape and completed with a smiley face. :) Since then I have acquired another box, one to put in the cold cabinet (fridge rather than a freezer), but I have not labeled that one yet . . . I just can not think of anything creative enough that I want to label it, I guess. 

When it rains the people in my lab act almost grumpy. They do not like the cloudy, gray skies and complain about the rain. I tell them that I think rain is pretty. I have gotten some funny reactions. 

There was a fly. It landed in the glove box. I captured the fly in the glove box. Then I had to let it outside. Kristin and I took the elevator down eleven stories and outside to let a fly out of the glove box. What else can you do with a fly in a glove box?

In Baltimore there are a few interesting flavors of chips. I got a little curious, and now I have "crab chips." Basically the chips are seasoned with Old Bay (what crab is seasoned with) and stuffed in a bag. It is different than what I am used to, but I think they might be growing on me. Old Bay is really popular here. People put it on just about everything, like french fries or peanuts. 

Call me crazy, but I am planning for the fall, already. I drew out my schedule for my classes on note paper and looked up the textbooks that I need. I know, I am weird. I just can't help myself.

Kristin says that she is not sure when I am serious or sarcastic. Considering that I am not really sarcastic that much of the time, I find that hard to believe. Maybe she just finds it hard to believe that I actually mean what I am saying because it is not the cool thing, or smart. . . . I don't know.

If I had a nickname associated with the laboratory, it would have to be either "P 20" or "aliquot." Kristin does not like the 20 uL pipet and so I have somewhat adopted it to be my favorite. Between that and two years ago when I first learned the word "aliquot" in the InnovaBio Lab; I have a couple of words that could easily become nicknames for me. I really like the word aliquot; I do not know why, I just think it sounds cool. 


For some reason, when I think about how much I like the work aliquot, I remember that I also like the word ampersand. Why do I like these words? Not a clue.


While I am the subject of pipets, sometimes when you are doing an entire 96 well plate, your arm gets tired. It sounds a little funny to complain about your forearm hurting, so sometimes we have to mention how we are developing pipetter's muscle, as we like to call it. My pipetter's muscle is getting buff! :)

I can hardly believe that I am halfway through with it all. It is going by so fast! In another month I will be leaving Baltimore to Salt Lake City. A month after that, I will be back in school. Time does fly by!


Also, I finally finished my post about my birthday. It is complete if you cared to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment