Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Final Week

{Monday, August 6, 2012}
The week was before me, and I had so many options to take. On Monday, I ventured out to the streets I have come to know so well. I walked along the harbor toward the Science Center thinking I might take a look at that, or maybe the Baltimore World Trade Center “Observation Point” as I strolled along. By the time I reached the Inner Harbor, I saw the Barns & Noble in the old Power Plant building before me. I had meant to check it out sooner, but I had forgotten, so I decided now was as good a time as any.

I entered and walked around the isles of books. I found a drinking fountain next to the bathrooms on the second floor that was wonderful. Now, I do not know if I am the only one that thinks about the quality of drinking fountains that I encounter, and if I am, oh well. Just another way God made me special I suppose. The drinking fountain at this Barns & Noble was one of those ones that shoots up high with a good amount of pressure for collecting the water in your cheek and had cold clear water. It was the perfect thing after my walk on such a warm sunny day.

I found a sewing and crafts section that I spent a considerable amount of time browsing through the books displayed on the selves. I liked several of the ideas in them, although now I can’t seem to quite remember what they were.

I roamed around a bit, finding my way over to the young adults section. Eyeing the covers I was not initially impressed. I spotted a shelf filled with the Hunger Games series and picked up the first book. I decided to give it a try.

I know that I missed the initial craze of the series. In my defense, before anyone was raving about them, my dad brought it home from the library for me to read because it had had really good reviews. I had every intention of reading it, but I got caught up in school and lost my chance before it was due back at the library. A few months later, it was all anyone could talk about. I had not tried to read it since.

When I picked this copy up in the library on Monday, I glanced around myself, seeing no seating near me, settled on the floor with my back against a bookcase end, and there I began to read the Hunger Games.

I had read a few chapters when an employee asked me to move off of the floor and find a bench to sit on. I complied by finding a spot seven isles down in the murder mystery section.

I read seven chapters before I realized that it had been several hours since I had entered, and best be getting on my way. I returned the book to the self, and made my way down the escalator only to get a glimpse of the travel and world section on the first floor. My hands were like magnets as I opened books from different countries, reading about neighborhood layouts and what cities were best to sleep in. I browsed the U.S. section and picked up a Utah travel book. It was a different perspective to read about Utah as though I were to be a traveler there. That once I was on that plane Saturday, I would not be flying home, but to another destination where I would take in the sights and sounds around me, gleaning all that I could from my surroundings.

I will be going home this time though. I am going home to my family and friends, to greet the faces of people that I know and love. I wonder though, if I will ever look at places the same now.

I imagine that I will find out soon enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment