Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Last Day :(

{August 3, 2012}
Friday was my final day. Although, Thursday was spent having a luncheon with everyone. It was super sad. First off, let us all just agree that I am absolutely terrible with goodbyes. I can hardly handle them. I took my camera with me, and Kristin took lots of pictures for me. She was determined to make sure that I would remember absolutely everything about the lab.

She was right to do so; I hope that I never forget. I have pictures of just about everything. I am truly going to miss Johns Hopkins Hospital.

This is the plate washer. I used it on a frequent basis when I was doing ELISAs (or Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assays). Since it is such an important machine, Kristin and I posed next to it.




I also pulled out my boxes that I stored things in. Now I will never be able to forget my infamous Smile :) and Trouble boxes.

Kristin and I then had a photo shoot. Not really though, we were just goofing off.
We are also really bad at pretending to be serious. Hence, in the next picture, we are laughing uncontrollably. Also, both of our lab coats say Kristin's name on them. We are the same person!


Other things that were necessary to capture forever are Curtis with his glasses, and my name on my slot.
Here are Curtis and Natalie, they are so cool, look at them pipetting . . . especially without gloves! Ha! You can always tell a posed science picture when . . .


I am a scientist! In our cold room I am pointing to the goat cheese and soy milk that we have stored. On the back of the shelf, I uncovered the 2% milk that I got at the beginning of the summer. It has been in there far too long.

Here is the milk that I labeled "not for consumption" just about two months ago. It is long past its expiration date and has formed a layer of sour nastiness on top. My favorite part of this milk bottle is the back where it says "Not your average cow!" Does it make anyone else wonder what makes these cows so special? Or do I even want to know?




We did the only thing we could, throw it away!



Other equipment from the lab are shown. Kristin models how cold -85 C really is . . . now that is cold! Freezers are an important part to any lab, without them scientists would not be able to store their samples for very long without damaging or killing them.


When I started this summer, I had to do several training modules. One was for all Hopkins employees and it talked about fire safety. I laughed at it though when it said that if there was a fire, everyone should evacuate and not use the fire extinguishers.

I am being a rebel and using the fire extinguisher! Let me put out that fire!
Every lab comes equipped with an emergency shower. I've never had to use one, and I hope I never have to.
This was Ann's door. I sure will miss her. She loves the Ravens (if you couldn't tell) and always has a treat in her office. Ann is friendly and thinks about everyone. When the delivery guys come to drop off a box, she makes sure that she has a cold bottle of water for them.

Here is Emily and Sarven in their office. Emily was my mentor. She was absolutely fantastic! I just love her and I will miss her smile.



When it was finally time to leave, I gave Emily a final hug and pushed the button on the elevator. The doors slid shut with finality and I descended eleven floors. I was conscious of every step I took through the hallway and past the Jesus statue until I was out the door.  My feet felt heavy at each step, I struggled to pick them up.

I arrived at the row house in Fells Point wanting to cry. Although I knew that I would be in Baltimore for another week, it was not the same, knowing my summer days were at an end.

The view from the lab on the eleventh floor of the Blalock building
I do not consider myself one to get homesick, most likely to the regret of my mother. I know where my family is, and I am assured that I will see them again. Leaving Hopkins on Friday was not the same. I had to say goodbye to people that I was uncertain whether or not I would ever see again. You never know when paths might cross, but in this case, I was more distraught than for comfort. I will truly miss these people.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, Elizabeth, this brought back SO many memories for me! It made me want to cry (esp. from your details at the end)!!

    And, I think it is fantastic that you are taller than Sarven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss it! Time flies by so quickly! And I am taller than most people, which apparently includes Sarven. I just like how awkward we were in that picture. :)

      Delete