Sunday, June 3, 2012

Heaven sent

Sunday rolls around and that means it's time to go to church. Yesterday, I looked up a route using the MTA bus system in Maryland. I wrote down my route that I would be taking to include the stops, the times, a transfer to another bus, everything. Since church starts at 10:00 a.m. (what a weird time to start church!) I should actually be able to make it twenty minutes or so early, I thought to myself.

Today was an adventure. An adventure in EVERY sense of the word (consider looking up the definition and you might catch on to where this is headed). I left my front door at 8:55 a.m. to cross my street and wait for the 013 bus that should arrive at 9:04 a.m. (I thought it would be good to get there a few minutes early because I don't know how dependable these buses are - if they're early or late). I chatted with a cute, old lady who was waiting for the 011 bus. Mine arrived first at 9:09 a.m. I boarded, and started to put a five dollar bill into the machine (A five was the best I had and fare cost $1.60 each time), but the driver told me not to worry about it and wait until I had change. He was kind.

We continued on our route and more people boarded the bus. As people got on and off the bus in the following stops, I noticed a few church goers by their dress. We turned onto North Ave. and I watch for the road I needed to get off at. Homewood arrived and I got off. Now I needed to transfer to 036, I spotted the bus stop just 30 feet from the main road (Homewood T's up with North Ave. and the bus stop was on Homewood). The 036 came every half hour. I was expecting it at 9:29 a.m. but knew that it also came at 9:59 a.m. Since the 013 was running late, I got there at 9:30 a.m. I hoped that the 036 was a few minutes late, but it was most likely that I had just missed it.

Three guys sat about 30-40 feet from me on a porch. They said something to me, but it wasn't clear enough for me to understand, so I ignored them. I stood by the post with the bus sign on it, arranging it so it just blocked my view of them. Across the street was an apartment complex with about seven doors across and three stories tall. There were three windows on each level for each door. Three of these doors and corresponding windows were boarded up or else there was no pane and glass present, just an gaping space. I am not exaggerating, I counted. Three apartments did have windows, but they were open, trashed, and had the blinds up. I could see no sign of life through them. Only one apartment looked like someone could have possibly lived in it. The windows were closed and had the blinds drawn. Only one out of seven . . . this was sketchy.

Cars drove down Homewood turning onto North Ave. As they passed me, the drivers would turn their heads and stare at me, some even poked their heads out of the window. Their eyes seemed to say, What are you doing here white girl? You're not welcome here.

I have not been nervous about Baltimore since I found out I was coming. Not before I left, not on the airplane, not getting here, not even venturing out by myself. I did feel nervous now. I don't think I've ever been so scared since I officially became an adult.

I said a few more silent prayers to add to today's list as my heart's pace increased. I just had to stay clam and keep breathing. The guys talked loudly, but not clear enough that I could understand, probably a good thing really.

I waited there for 20-30 minutes, still standing stiff as a board, before a bus turned onto Homewood and my heart soared. I saw the digital words taking the place of the bus number that said Not in Service and thought I couldn't take it anymore. However, the bus stopped and I heard an automated voice tell me it was bus 36 and didn't hesitate. I gladly paid my five dollars for a $1.60 ticket. I don't think I've ever made a better purchase.

A guy tried to get me to buy water. I took my seat. I knew I was going to be late for church, but at least I would make it. I listened to the names of the streets as the automated voice read off each stop. I have never heard of any of these. The Alameda wait, I've heard of that. The church is on this road! I looked at my sticky note again, that isn't what I wrote down as the stop to get off at. I asked the bus driver if I had missed Northern Parkway and York Riverview and she said I hadn't missed it, that it was farther down. I sat back down and a woman asked if I was going to Northern Parkway and York and told me it was at the end of the line, so I had a ways to go.

I road the bus and finally got off at my stop, but did not expect what was next. There was no church. I did not know where to go. I did not know where I was. I did not know what to do now. It was an intersection of two very busy roads. I followed a woman over to a bus stop bench and sat down.

I looked in the car windows at the drivers passing, I hadn't seen a white person all morning. Of the next fifteen cars, I saw three white drivers. I haven't felt like such a minority since I walked into an Asian grocery store in Salt Lake City, and that was only for twenty minutes. It was so strange to feel alone and completely out of control. At this point, there was literally nothing that I could do to help myself. Now I had to rely on someone else to help me. I pulled out my phone and texted Curtis. Then I sent Bree and Leah a text.

Bree is the girl that found me on Facebook and sent me a message telling me about a Relief Society activity in two weeks, the church's address, her number and the Relief Society President's number (Leah). They both texted back asking where I was at, and soon after Leah called me. Mind you all, this is right in the middle of Relief Society since at this point, I was way late for church.

She verified that I could see a Bacon Shoe Store on the corner and told me to go west on Northern Parkway, that the store should be on my right. Good thing she told me that because I was about to go in the completely wrong direction. I thought I could tell which direction was which, but NOPE! Apparently I rely more on mountains than I care to admit.

She found out that I was walking, not driving, and told me that she would be on her way to pick me up. I got off the phone with her to see that I had missed two calls from Bree and answered her third call just in time. She said that she was going to come get me, but I explained that I had just talked to Leah who was on her way.

I started walking down Northern Parkway and got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I answered and it was a girl named Sabrina that Leah had sent for me. I watched for a gold car, and she watched for a girl wearing purple on the side of the road. Such interesting terms to be introduced to someone.

Half of the sidewalk was overgrown with grass and ivy. Added to the green was an array of litter. Cars sped past me; there were three lanes just going this direction, I didn't pay attention to the other side of the road.

A gold car pulled over and I got in. I told Sabrina what had happened and apologized for the inconvenience. She was so sweet to me and completely willing to help me. I am so grateful to have the connections of the Church! Having so many people respond to my cry for help was uplifting and inspiring. Thank you wonderful sisters! Today, you truly were Heaven sent.

Curtis called to find out what was going on, but I was already taken care of. I made it to church at 11:00 a.m. just in time for Sunday School and Sacrament meeting. Relief Society was over. I can't believe it took me a full two hours to get to church! Sure, it wasn't supposed to have taken me that long, but my for entire life in Utah the church has been a fifteen minute walk away, at the MOST.

Church was great. I think if my emotional state had not been compromised, I would have born my testimony today, but considering the chain of events, I knew I would have burst into tears and no one would have understood me. That would be a great way to meet everyone. I stayed after for choir and Emily gave me a ride home.

I met so many great people at church I just can't wait to get to know them! Also, a girl gave me her number that lives in Fells Point, so hopefully I can work out a ride to church with her and skip having to go through this big mess again.

Today I learned that God answers prayers. Well, I knew that, but I got to relearn the beauty of it. Prayer is so simple, and pure. I am exponentially grateful for it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what an adventure. Isn't it wonderful to think that if you don't learn anything else from your Baltimore experience, you learn to rely on Heavenly Father. :) Oh, I love your posts. They are so raw and real. I feel like I am there. You are reminding me so much of my experiences in . Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you! That makes me happy that this reminds you of your adventures in Africa! This is definitely "raw and real" for me, I'm glad you can relate.

      Delete
  2. Aren't the ward members there just wonderful!? I'm so happy that you're having a wonderful experience Elizabeth, even if most of this story I just wanted to cry for you

    ReplyDelete