Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Overcrowded Bus

The faces of the people 
on the bus,
overcrowded 
and malodorous with stench,
produce blank stares 
or embarrassing eye glances
only to be quickly averted
but replaced. 
Bodies shift with the bus:
the stops,
and starts,
all movements are 
synchronized
as though, 
they are just an 
extension
of a larger picture.

Trust is absent.
I recognize frequenters:
a girl 
walks the same 
way home 
as me, 
hasty 
and hurried steps.
Or a Jewish boy
waits in the morning
sometimes reading, 
usually
a thick book,
a novel of fiction,
I think.
I can't even say 
hello.

Faces remind me of someone
I know,
reviewing memories of the past
and realizing
my unawareness
about my surroundings.
Somehow
pilled into a vehicle,
awkwardly,
lives moving
the same direction,
then spilling out onto the street,
like a bucket of paint
tipped on its side,
only the paint
changes colors
and continues on
in endless,
separate pathways.

What if those pathways 
reconnected?
Would I 
notice?
Sorrowful connections 
as people
go on
existing
without even 
acknowledging 
each other;
and finally, 
forever 
gone.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I like it! I'd never thought about reconnecting like that but I live your poem and imagination! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both! I appreciate that you like it. I don't really know what rules there are to writing poetry, but this came to me and I thought I would share.

    ReplyDelete