Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Not exotic

Can I just say that I feel kind of NOT exotic? In the lab, we have people from Sweden, China, Hungry, Canada, Russia, Baltimore (I think that's cool), . . . oh, and Utah. 


As I was telling Emily (my mentor/supervisor) this, we were chatting about philosophy as well. I am astonished at the number of people I have encountered, and will encounter throughout the course of my lifetime. 


There are so many humans out there. Well, HERE actually. Right  NOW. I am talking about beings with individual families and situations, pets, jobs, connections, and stories! That is amazing! 


I am just some girl from Utah spending a summer in Maryland; exuberant about books, rain, and the color yellow. I am a nerd and love school. 


I bet there is a man with three daughters and a passion for spear fishing outside of his weekday city office job. Or a woman that has traveled little but can mend relationships and socks miraculously. A boy with large dreams to start an international business rather than take on his father's ranch. 

I sometimes think about the people that I am going to meet within the next year. I wonder what they are like, and what is important to them right now. 

Anyway, I like to think about people and their possible life stories. 

Emily told me I had exotic thinking.

Maybe exotic does not have to be about a place . . . .

1 comment:

  1. I love this post because everyone has a story... and it's always super cool. So you are never going to be just some girl from Utah. You are Elizabeth and just because you see your life through your own eyes, doesn't mean other don't people think it's tremendous!

    There used to be show where the guy would throw a dart at a map and then go to that city, pick a random person, and tell their life story. Most people don't think it's interesting or important, but as they told him about their life they realized that things do happen to them too. :)

    ReplyDelete