Friday, June 1, 2012

Pre-Employment Friday

Today I had my pre-employment appointment at 9:00 a.m. this morning. I was out my front door at 8:30 a.m. ready to go. I walked to the bus stop in ten minutes. I rode the bus to the Johns Hopkins stop where EVERYONE got off, that took ten minutes. I realized that I wasn't sure where 98 North Broadway was, I was on Broadway St. I knew that. So I found a security officer and asked him.

He was a bit surprised that I was so far away and that I didn't mind walking. I basically ended up turning around and retracing my steps. Worried that I was going to be late, I called Wanda and told her that I was turned around but was on my way. She was so sweet and told me to breathe and relax. She verbally "walked" me through where I was to go. It wasn't until I was like one block away that she realized I was walking and not driving a car. It was hilarious to hear her on the other end of the line. "Gurl! We need to sign you up for the marathon!"

So I made it, I was late (according to my watch) until I checked in with the receptionist and realized that I was just on time. I forgot that my watch was a little fast. What a splendid rediscovery! My name was called and I followed a woman to her office. She introduced herself to me as Matesse and sat down. Another woman was looking through files trying to find something in particular and saying, "Don't mind me! Just pretend I'm not here."

As Matesse started showing me packets of papers, the standing woman asked, "Are you Miss Robertson?" I said I was and she laughed and stated how she had recognized my voice. She was Wanda, who I had been corresponding with not only a few minutes prior, but once earlier this week as well as another time a month or so ago.

She was so amused about me walking that she couldn't get over it and told Matesse what had happened. Things were turning out even better than I had planned regardless that I wasn't ten minutes early.

After handing me a folder with all of my job starting information, I waited in the lobby a second time for someone else who was currently busy. A girl started talking to me and she was so cute. I guess this morning just wasn't her morning either. She was from Ohio and has just spent the last year in Africa and now was getting a job at Johns Hopkins as a pharmacist I think? Anyway, she was gorgeous and I can't recall her name, it started with an "S" and was some beautiful cultured name that even if I could remember it, I know I wouldn't be able to spell it. Anyway, I guess she flew in to Baltimore only for 40 hours to get the pre-employment cleared, but she had left all of her paperwork at the house she was staying at and everyone there was gone. So even if she did turn around and go back, she'd be waiting there for a couple hours anyway. I gave her a some words of encouragement; actually I probably said something really dumb, but I don't remember.

I got called back again and had my identification verified (that frantic Wednesday morning wasn't for naught), and I was told to take a paper upstairs and complete the medical side of the appointment.

I found room 421, and signed in. I then proceeded to fill out a couple of loose leaf papers about vague medical history and a packet of decently comprehensive history. After reliving my medical past, I waited for my name to be called.

That same Ohio girl came and sat down by me, but now she was a step ahead of me and had already gotten a shot in her arm. She mentioned that when she was an intern at Hopkins it seemed like she was waiting for three hours just to get her shot. So, with that in mind I patiently waited and my name was called before I even glanced at the clock.

The nurse had me read a page with small type with each of my eyes. I had a color blind test where I told her the numbers that I saw, and traced some lines. She took my temperature, and had me to the typical vision test where you stand behind a line and read letters one eye at a time. She took my blood pressure, and she took it again, then she took it on the other arm, and said the number that she got aloud (sorry Mom, I don't remember what it was specifically) and asked if it was normal. I said, "What? Is it low?" "Very low!" she responded. "Yeah, that's normal." I told her.

Finally, she gave me a TB shot. I asked if would it hurt, and she told me it would for twenty minutes. So I opted for my left arm. I barely felt a thing! That was not exactly what I had prepared myself for, but that is ALRIGHT! I waited in the waiting room for another five minutes and another nurse reviewed my medical history with me. Gee-wiz, I hope I remembered everything correctly and didn't tell them a fib. That's why I have a mother right? To remember all histories that need to be documented or recalled at the drop of a pin. :)

So I got through all of that this morning and walked all the way home while talking on the phone to my mom to verify that I didn't make any major mistakes in the record I just made and gave to Johns Hopkins. It really wasn't that far, but I am glad that it was midday when I was on a couple of the blocks. Maybe I should have just crossed the street. . . . The interesting people of Baltimore.

Now it is raining. It's probably a good thing that I couldn't find my umbrella and that I have not bought a new one yet because if I had one, I would have waltzed in the rain for a while and not wanted to go inside. However, it has been quite relaxing staying inside and catching up with everything else. Such as updating this blog.

Also, I found out when and where church is held, on Facebook of all places. Sounds like Lori has been looking out for me still and had a girl from the ward contact me through Facebook. I am looking forward to a Relief Society activity day trip to Ocean City in a couple of weeks.

The rain is really coming down, it sounds like someone is just pouring a bucket of water by the window, but it is constant. Everything is still warm. How different. I think I might just fall in love with rain all over again. I didn't even know I could love it more than I already do. The best part is, we haven't even been introduced yet; I can't wait to be outside in the rain! It won't be tonight, but I am looking forward to our expected, but unexpected, encounter!

Tomorrow is looking bright for me. Natalie told me about the farmer's market in Broadway Square just south-west of us. I want to go tomorrow morning now and she is considering going as well if she gets things done in the morning. She's got a busy day tomorrow with lots of family so I probably won't see her much all day.

Curtis (my coworker in the lab at USU) is flying in tonight late. We plan on exploring the city tomorrow and will probably hit up the grocery store while we are at it. I am excited! Maybe I'll be the Baltimore expert for a few hours --- that will be a change.

It's 11:11 p.m. so my wish is that I can rediscover Baltimore tomorrow!

1 comment: